Thursday 13 October 2016

Conclusion of Research - Codes and Conventions

Camera shots, angles and movement
I know that this song is a very similar style to the song that I am using to create my own music video, so I feel like this will be a really great inspiration for my planning. I love the lighting and think the red and black lights were a really effective and genius way to represent the love and danger themes in the video so I will hopefully be able to incorporate something similar into my video. I also felt like the montage shots were a really exciting part of the video and the way the image linked to the lyric was really intriguing so I want to take some inspiration and apply it to my own video.

I really like the jump cuts from one emotion to another, I really hope we can find a way to use this in our music video as I think it is really effective for the story line and to the audience.
I also really liked the way the background blurred to make her the focus of the shot and to highlight her drunken state.

This kind of voyeuristic and sexualised artist is very post modern, as effective as it is, it is not suitable for the type of indie music we have chosen to make a video for. The shots in this video are really effective, especially in the close ups and extreme close ups as they are conventions of pretty much every type of music videos.

I now see what kind of shots are usual for indie music videos and its really helpful to see what should be included in my own music video. I hope we can incorporate all of these shots in our video as they were so effective here. We definitely need to include extreme close ups of our artists, zoom shots and long shots. Performance shots are common convention for indie music videos but we do not have a band that are playing so we can't do this.

This has shown me how effective even simple shots can be with the right location and framing, I feel like the use of very neutral and white colours with bursts of brightness is really interesting and may be something we could use.

Mise en scene
I feel like in our music video, we should use various locations which can portray a vary of different experiences but that also work together.
A list of possible locations we could use is...

  • The old train tunnel in Brigg
  • Woodlands
  • Pebble Beach ft abandoned fishing hut
  • the Humber Bridge
  • Thornton Abbey
  • Graveyard
This research has really opened my eyes to just how important costumes are in a music video, this has helped me decide that the costumes really need to represent the genre of our chosen song, but also make sense to the story line while creating a star image for our actors and telling the story. We don't want overly extravagant costumes so nothing like these shown above but just simple jeans and vintage shirts etc. 

After researching this, I would like to use quite bold vintage shirts in the happier scenes to represent the indie genre, the sadder scenes would be all dressed in black, so black jeans and a black t-shirt and a black leather jacket or suit jacket. The make-up will start really natural but will acquire eyeliner and then lipstick as the video progresses.

This has really helped me see which aspects of existing stars would be good to use for our star to try and make them successful, we need the female lead to be independent and strong who is able to attract both a male and female audience through her looks, music and fashion. Our male lead needs to be strong, stylish and have that suave look which will appeal to both target audience.

Now I am less worried about finding lots of bold, in your face patterned clothes and more focused on just simple clothes that support our narrative, which is helpful.

Editing

The editing in this video has really inspired me, as there is some disorganisation and distress in our music video so the canted angles and rotation of shots could come in really handy and make the music video look really effective and professional, hopefully we could include something like this because it works so well.

This is a well edited but over the top music video, we could use some inspiration from this video but not a lot as it is too different to what we are trying to achieve, this being said the editing does look really effective and it is such a modern and inventive music video and it does really work with this song and the bands image.


The lighting in my music video has not been thoroughly planned yet and so this was really helpful to be able to acknowledge what is going to be effective and work well for the particular style of video we are doing, I think, from this research that natural light is going to be the best bet, in the night time shots we will need artificial lighting but we mainly need natural light.


No comments:

Post a Comment